[tex-live] Problem Installin Emerald.sty

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri May 21 21:38:30 CEST 2010

On 21 May 2010 Lars Madsen wrote:

 > Panciz wrote:
 > > I tried to manually install the emerald package.
 > >
 > > I copied the fonts and fonts trees in texmf and texmf-dist and a I ran
 > >
 > > updmap --enable emerlad.map
 > > updmap-sys --enable emerlad.map
 > >
 > > If I compile my latex file as superuser everything works but when
 > > I try to run as normal user I get:
 > >
 > > pdflatex file.tex
 > >
 > > kpathsea:Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 0+480/600 --dpi 480 faumw8r
 > > mktexpk:don't know how to create bitmap font for faumw8r.
 > > kpathsea:Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 > >
 > > Only as superuser I can get through the compilation.
 > > All the user have read permission on the font files.
 > >
 > > I use tex-live2009 on slackware13.
 > >
 > > Any idea???
 > >
 > > Thanks
 > >

 > you shouldn't run updmap and updmap-sys

It should work though.  A user should always be able to install his
own fonts locally.  Suppose that you bought a font but the license
doesn't allow you to make it available to others.

 > I usually only run updmap-sys

Sure, this is the preferred way to install new fonts, whenever
possible.

 > Try renaming ~/.texlive2009

This is certainly a reasonable workaround but it's better to find out
what went wrong.  IMO, at least.  I would run

  $EDITOR `kpsewhich pdftex.map`

and search for "faumw8r".  There should be a line beginning with this
string but according to the error message this line is missing.  If
this line is missing, updmap is the culprit.  The most likely reason
is that it was called with wrong arguments.

If the line is missing I would also run updmap again and examine the
messages written to screen carefully.  Does it process emerlad.map at
all?

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25