[tex-live] texdoc feature idea: LaTeX package macros

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Thu May 20 10:07:24 CEST 2010

Le 20/05/2010 00:33, Karl Berry a écrit :
>     What if the texdoc database
>     were set up to map macro names to package documentation?
>
> We should probably discuss this on the texdoc list.

I was about to suggest that. Cc-ing the texdoc list and setting reply-to.

> My initial reaction is that being able to look up by macro name would be
> great, but perhaps it should be a different tool instead of integrated
> into texdoc, especially for the sake of collisions.  I dunno.  Up to Manuel.

I didn't think a lot, but it seems to me that it's better to have it integrated
in texdoc, since essentially there would be a mapping macro -> package name,
then the existing part of texdoc would do the mapping package name -> actual
files. But I'm also afraid of collisions, so I was thinking of an option like
texdoc --macro '\foobar' (with a better option name).

Anyway, I'm sorry but I didn't plan to do major changes in texdoc in the next
few months (due to real-life occupation), but I'd be glad to discuss the idea
now, if you don't mind waiting a bit for the implementation :)

Manuel.