[tex-live] big troubles installing TL '09 on Windows 7 with 2 admins

Benjamin Renaud jenbamin at free.fr
Tue May 18 01:20:46 CEST 2010

> Hi,

hi Tomek,
& thanks for the fast reply,

> In short, I have no idea what's going wrong.  The only difference
> between admin and non-admin install is which registry hive is used
> (HKLM and HKCU, respectively) but this should have no bearing on
> running binaries like pdftex.  All binaries are stored in one dir and
> as long as this dir is accessible to all users, everything should just
> work (TM).

ok, so I'm glad to hear that it *should* work...
however everything else installs and runs very fine on this computer (including cygwin, strawberryperl, etc.), I had no trouble so far.

> The error message "Can't get long name for C:\texlive" looks odd.  I
> suspect that some file permission magic might be at work.

sorry, I don't know much about Windows, its permissions system etc. — do you mean the system might be corrupted or something ?

> Try to
> install TL in another directory (preferably on another drive) and see
> if that helps.

ok, I'll try that and let you know...

> Cheers,
>
> Tomek