[tex-live] rutfloat.sty not found in texlive 2010 fedora 12.

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon May 17 11:03:17 CEST 2010

Le 17/05/2010 02:00, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 7:35 PM, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr> wrote:
>> Le 17/05/2010 01:27, Victor Ivrii a écrit :
>>> BTW, texdoc cannot find documentation which comes as
>>>
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/rotfloat/rotfloat.xml
>>> /usr/local/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/doc/latex/rotfloat/examples.tex
>>>
>> By default, texdoc doesn't look for files with tex or xml extension (btw, how is
>> a normal human being supposed to find a xml file helpful as a user-level
>> documentation?). This can be changed by setting ext_list in your personal
>> configration file (see texdoc's documentation) if you want to do so.
>

> In this particular case xml and comment to sty are human readable (and
> even not unfriendly).

In this particular case, I agree. But in general I still think texdoc is right
not to look for xml files.

For tex files, it's harder to tell, since some authors provide documentation
only as an example tex file, which may be very readable, but otoh most of the
time, tex files are only the source for a compiled documentation. I'll add this
problem to my incubation list.

> Probably one needs just to remember that there
> may be documentation hidden in non-standard formats and even if texdoc
> does not find to use locate to find suspicious files

Right. texdoc's primary goal is to be right most of the time. Handling special
cases correctly while still keeping the system maintainable is no easy problem.

Manuel.