[tex-live] $TEXMFHOME not working right

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Sun May 16 09:42:07 CEST 2010

Le 16/05/2010 04:49, Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
> On 15 May 2010 Khaled Hosny wrote:
>
>  > I certainly didn't complain, but it was a very frustrating experience
>  > first time I started adding stuff to TEXMFHOME and tex still can not
>  > find it, I'm very glad this have been "fixed".
>
> Sure, this can happen.  But if you didn't know that you have to run
> texhash, how did you know where exactly you have to put your files?
> You certainly have to read documentation if you want to install files
> in TEXMFHOME.  There is much more you can do wrong.

Because you heard about it from a colleague or an incomplete documentation?

As a matter of personal experience, a few years ago, when I first tried to
install something in my TEXMFHOME, I did two mistakes:
- not running mktexlsr (it was TL05)
- not putting tex input files in a "tex" subdirectory
and I remember it took me a long time to understand.

Now, there's one less standard mistake to make. That's a Good Thing IMO.

> What we have now solves a tiny problem for people who didn't read the
> documentation.  They have to be in luck if their files are found at
> all (if they didn't read any documentation), and the system is slow by
> default.

Well, it's slow only on nfs mounts with big texmfhome trees (which is not
exactly the most common case).

>  Is this really what we want?

Do we really want to engage now in a discussion about something that was already
decided three years ago?

Manuel.