[tex-live] include directories to search for additonalfileslike *.bib *.sty, etc.

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon May 10 23:14:52 CEST 2010

Le 10/05/2010 22:43, Thomas Jung a écrit :
> But had to install two packages by myself. "floatflt" and "colortab".
> This is no problem for me, but was wondering because everybody
> said to me tex-live is the most complete distribution.
> Is there a reason why this two packages are not in the "main" tree?

Licences. According to the catalogue:
- colortab: Free for use but distribution for profit only by arrangement
- floatflt: Other non-Debian licenses
(I didn't check further.)

According to <http://miktex.org/copying>:

> To the best of my knowledge, all software in this distribution is freely
> redistributable (libre, that is, not necessarily gratis), within the Free
> Software Foundation's definition and Debian Free Software Guidelines.

which is almost exactly the licence policy of TeX Live too. But it's not the
first time I hear of something being in MikTeX while it's excluded from TeX Live
due to license issues. I don't understand why these things still are in MikTeX.

Manuel.