[tex-live] TeX Live font audit

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Wed Mar 31 19:57:49 CEST 2010

Hi Manuel,

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 05:12:23PM +0200, Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
> > needed to do a font audit in the whole TeX Live repository using
> > repo-font-audit utility. I'm sending a final report to you what
> > oddnesses were found. Some of them could be fixed on packaging level,
> > but I thought that things like font duplication or fontlint warnings
> > could be usable for you as well.
> >
> > The summary is pretty descriptive and it is done in today's state of
> > the TeX Live repository. I hope it helps.
> >
> It sure helps. We recently started doing regular checks of various file types,
> including fonts, but the whole process need to be tweaked in order to better
> distinguish innocuous warnings from serious errors, and the results have to be
> processed some day. See
>
> http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/bin/tl-check-files-by-format
>
> if you're interested.

Thanks, I will use it as a second pass repo testing :)

> I wasn't aware of fontlint when I started writing this
> script, I'll have a look.

The URL is here:
http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/fontlint.html
and it is a part of fontforge package.

> I assume repo-font-audit is a specific fedora tool?

Yes, it is written specifically for Fedora and it is part of
"fontpackages" package:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fontpackages

> Where can it be easily
> accessed by non-fedora users?

On the URL above. There is also a link to a git repo there.
Repo-font-audit is a shell script so there shouldn't be problems using
it out of Fedora.

> I'd like to have a look at it, I can probably
> borrow some ideas (or even code) from it.

This is very much appreciated. I'm adding Nicolas Mailhot, as the script
author to Cc.

Thanks,
Jindrich

--