[tex-live] [texhax] ! LaTeX error: File 'rcs.sty' not found.

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 16:25:14 CET 2010

2010/3/15 John H Harris <jhharris at unencumbereddesign.com>:

> TeXLive was installed with, and is normally used with, admin privileges.

FYI, TL'09 should not require admin privileges to function properly
with default installation settings.

> I think it is time to try a reinstallation. My fear here is that I
> cannot be sure I have a clean machine. While troubleshooting the present
> problem, I found several bits of detritus from former TeX Live
> installations, including my last, 2007. There where environment
> variables, directories, files. Is there a checklist for cleaning up?

This might be a problem. TL'07 used to set a bunch of environment
variables, I don't have a list though. TL'09 does not set
(permanently) anything in the environment (with the exception of
PATH), so anything starting with TEX or TL does not belong to TL'09*.

Cheers,

Tomek

*unless you used from_dvd installation