[tex-live] moving ucs back to -recommended

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Wed Mar 10 11:12:32 CET 2010

----- Ursprüngliche Mail ----

To get rid of this behavior, you just have to do what the message suggests (or read the documentation). This is not the reason why ucs and utf8x should be avoided; rather, it's the maintenance status, the complexity of the package, and its failure to work with packages like csquotes.
In princliple, the whole idea of ucs (and also of inputenc) is flawed: The (pdf)TeX engine is not and will never be Unicode-aware. This is impossible to fix on the macro level: you need a modern engine (i.e., LuaTeX).