[tex-live] preview.sty / tlmgr vs AucTeX

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Tue Mar 9 10:17:04 CET 2010

On  9 Mar, 2010, at 01:55, David Kastrup wrote:

> Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:
>
> [...]
>
> preview.sty is a standalone style and used by numerous other packages
> such as pst-pdf.sty.

Yes ---as I said in other post, I've used it for TikZ pictures.

> The Emacs subsystem AUCTeX (which includes preview-latex) has provisions
> to install a private version preview.sty into the Emacs source tree and
> use that for Emacs-internal operation.

This is what Seiji Zenitani does in his Carbon Emacs for the Mac (but, alas!, v22.x, that's why I also build Emacs for the Mac from CVS).

> If Debian's Emacs installation (which is a black art for itself) chooses
> not to avail itself of this but installs another preview.sty somewhere
> else

No, I never meant that ---everything is hand-installed and -build ---TeXLive, Emacs, and AucTeX, and completely independent one from another (well, not completely ---AucTeX asks for Emacs and a TeX distribution if it can't find them, of course). First, TeXLive from TUG, then Emacs from http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/, and last AucTeX from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex.

I didn't use Debian's repositories at all!

So it is AucTeX from http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex that installs preview.sty et al. in a different branch than tlmgr, when using just configure / make / make install. Of course I could specify in options for configure which TeXLive branch to use, but if it worked ``out of the box'', why bother?

And, by the way, thank you for AucTeX ---I'm sure the next book I copy-edit/produce will be done completely in Emacs with AucTeX.

Best,

Axel