[tex-live] preview.sty / tlmgr vs AucTeX

David Kastrup dak at gnu.org
Tue Mar 9 08:55:19 CET 2010

Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de> writes:

> On 8 March 2010 Karl Berry wrote:
>
>  > I installed preview.sty in the standard way for TL because it is
>  > part of the preview[-latex] package on CTAN.
>  >
>  > David, if you prefer that I install it in texmf (seems wrong to
>  > me), or not install it at all, just let me know.  Whatever you
>  > want.
>
> Is it feasible to remove preview.sty from CTAN, put it somewhere under
> site-lisp/auctex and set TEXINPUTS in Emacs accordingly?  If only
> Emacs needs preview.sty, this is certainly the best solution.

preview.sty is a standalone style and used by numerous other packages
such as pst-pdf.sty.

The Emacs subsystem AUCTeX (which includes preview-latex) has provisions
to install a private version preview.sty into the Emacs source tree and
use that for Emacs-internal operation.

If Debian's Emacs installation (which is a black art for itself) chooses
not to avail itself of this but installs another preview.sty somewhere
else, I'd not consider this a problem of the TeXlive team.  Keeping the
Debian Emacs maintainers from shooting everybody in the foot including
themselves is not really humanly possible.

--
David Kastrup