[tex-live] PTeX engine

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 14:22:34 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 8:04 AM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa at freenet.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I removed the pTeX based formats from the configuration file (since I don't
> know exactly what pTeX is meant for I assume it's rather useless, at least
> for me, so I keep it disabled since some time).

> Know thyself. Need help, call GOOGLE.

Well, I asked Google. First I found petetex or rather Pete TeX. Not close ...

Then Disney Ptex:
http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5439 Arghh! Disney's
lawyers will not tolerate trademark infringement and will demand
amount equivalent to the duties of 3,000,000,000 TUG members for
1,000,000 years :-(

Finally, asked texdoc ptex and found that it is Japanese TeX

Asking on prompt
which ptex
returned

/usr/texbin/ptex

Is this a bug? It should return

Japanese :-)

Sorry, could not resist temptation. Victor