[tex-live] "Rebuild all formats" with two installations

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jun 3 22:53:53 CEST 2010

On 3 June 2010 Vedran Miletić wrote:

 > Datuma 3. lipnja 2010. 17:11 George N. White III <gnwiii at gmail.com> je
 > napisao/la:
 > > It is not expected, and sounds like a problem with the PATH setting,
 > > but we need to know more specifically what is failing.  Are log files
 > > being created and do they give any hints?   Have you tried running
 > > the command, e.g., "fmtutil-sys --all" from a command-line?
 >
 > Perhaps I wasn't completely clear. I apologize if that's the case.
 >
 > I have TL installed from RPMs, and TL from pretest repository. I'm
 > trying to use tlpretest, and:
 >
 > 1) If symlinks from tlpretest TL are in place (/usr/local/bin), it
 > all works.
 > 2) If symlinks are not there, tlmgr exectues executables from system,
 > and generating formats fails as I described.
 >
 > So, the question is: does tlmgr execute executables in PATH or in the
 > same dir where it resides and why?

I still don't know what you mean.  If you tell the installer to
"create symlinks to standard directories", you don't have to do
anything else.  If you don't, you have to add the bin directory to
PATH.  But if there is another TeX distribution on your system
already, you should make sure that the version you want to use comes
first in PATH, i.e.

  PATH=/path/to/current/texlive/bin:$PATH
  export PATH

If the version you want to use doesn't precede other versions in PATH,
I can guarantee you that you'll have a lot of fun.

Another problem can occur if you already have a complete TeX Live
system installed on your machine and install a newer version but don't
select "scheme full" at install time.  It's obviously clear what
happens.

Nevertheless, since you said

  "If symlinks are not there, tlmgr exectues executables from system"

I'm convinced that PATH is not set properly.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25