[tex-live] Problem updating using tlmgr

Torsten Andre qa at takb.net
Wed Jun 2 00:39:44 CEST 2010

Hi group,

I'm running Debian Squeeze and installed Latex using tex-live and not
the Debian repositories. Installing was quite some work since the
download was always interrupted and, though supposedly possible, the
downloader was never able to continue. But that was quite some time ago.
I installed tex-live 2008. I'd like to update to 2009 and I thought to
use the tlmgr. I think this is the preferred method to update, isn't it?

Well, whenever I try to update tlmgr always tells me that (I'm translating)
"the Tex Live database could not be loaded from $newroot. Please select
a different installation source..."

The source chosen is [1], but if I select the default [2] I still get
the same error. I searched for different server but I always found hints
to select [2]. I installed tex-live from [1].

Can someone tell me how to update texlive? Thank you very much!

Torsten

[1] http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/mirror/ctan/
[2] http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008