[tex-live] ConTeXt in TL on Windows broken

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 18:49:55 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 18:30, T T <t34www at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 1 June 2010 16:12, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> If binaries are not on the PATH in TL then it is misconfigured.  I can
>>> fix this for mtxrun in context but there are likely other places in TL
>>> that might break for the same reason.  In other words, we can't
>>> guarantee that things will work w/o bin/win32 on the PATH.
>>
>> Path was set to
>>    C:\programi\texlive\2010\bin\win32;%PATH
>> The command
>>    texlua --version
>> and all other binaries worked fine, but mtxrun didn't find texlua.exe.
>>
>> But then: that PATH wasn't really properly set anyway.
>
> I don't understand.  If you were able to call 'texlua --version', I
> don't see how mtxrun could fail (assuming it was started from the same
> process/command window).  In both cases the same PATH had to be
> searched for the binary, so it's impossible it succeeded in one case
> and failed in another (windows is weird, but not that weird).

I can imagine that windows has found the binary texlua.exe without a
problem while mtxrun was trying to be more clever than windows and
tried to find that binary on its own. Note that "%PATH" is not a valid
folder or path.

You don't need to understand. Maybe it's enough if you try to repeat
after me. Vyatcheslav had the same problem - his windows installer is
failing due to this weird behaviour of not finding texlua in current
folder.

It may be ok to first use the binary from PATH, but then the current
folder should be checked at least. If you are concerned about
security, one probably doesn't need an expert to do evil stuff with
luatex (when we had MKIV enabled on server and formats were broken,
people realized that they were able to remake the formats on server).

Any other binary would do "just the same evil thing".

Mojca