[tex-live] BibTeXU

Taco Hoekwater taco at elvenkind.com
Tue Jun 1 13:44:21 CEST 2010

Joseph Wright wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 11:56, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
>> Karl Berry wrote:
>>> I gather this is what used to be bibtex8 in former years?
>>>
>>> bibtexu is/was a project by Yannis (and a student or two) to use the ICU
>>> library with BibTeX. Peter also put in the massive efforts needed to
>>> make this work in the TL build system and have bibtexu and xetex use the
>>> same ICU library
>>
>> Bibtexu does not actually seem to work all that well, or at least it
>> has some quirks on my linux 64 box. I experimented a bit because it
>> sounds promising. Long email follows.
>
> [snip]
>
> Looks like you put in a lot more effort than me! I'd wondered about the
> sorting files, too, and couldn't seem to make any sense of it.

It looks this code is inherited from bibtex8? It would not be
all that surprising if Yannis had fixed the core functionality
but not the message reporting / command line / documentation.

> Any idea
> about the "--language" option: I tried it with various settings and
> nothing seemed to happen.

Same here, seems to do nothing. There is also --location, which when
combined starts to look like a language identifier cf. en_US.

Perhaps the combination of the two options defines the sorting order?
(I do not have a suitable test file for trying  that)

> (BTW, we now have two bugs: a) \citation{*}, b) line end handling, which
> should get logged somewhere.

As well as the seemingly spurious ERROR report and the non-working
--debug=search.

> Any ideas on where makes sense?)

To Yannis via email, I assume. But I don't have an address handy.

Best wishes,
Taco