[tex-live] Problem in updating texlive-2009

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Jul 29 09:22:49 CEST 2010

On Do, 29 Jul 2010, S. venkataraman wrote:
> I have formatted my hard disk and installed texlive 2009, CTAN  DVD
> version, not the Ubuntu version.  So, I know that updates do exist .

Ok.

> I have tried dante, cambridge and
> default ctan site without any success.
> This is the output I get when I run tlmgr --version command.
> ***********************
> venkat at venkat-laptop:~$ tlmgr --version
> tlmgr revision 18011 (2010-04-26 21:41:33 +0200)
> tlmgr using installation: /opt/texlive/2009

Ok.

> /usr/bin/tlmgr: Could not load packages from
>   http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb

Can you please do the following:

select one mirror by hand, say
	http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/publishing/tex/CTAN/systems/texlive/tlnet/

then do
	tlmgr --repository YOUR_MIRROR --no-persistent-downloads update --list
If that does not work, then do the same again, but add
	-v -v
and send us the output captured to stdout and stderr:
	tlmgr ...arguments -v -v ... 2>&1 >tlmgr-debug.log
and send me that one.

It might be that at your place FTP protocol is blocked, so please
try an http mirror!!

Thanks.

Best wishes

Norbert
VALLETTA (n.)
On ornate head-dress or loose garment worn by a person in the belief
that it renders then invisibly native and not like a tourist at
all. People who don huge colonial straw collie hats with 'I Luv Lagos'
on them in Nigeria, or fat solicitors from Tonbridge on holiday in
Malaya who insist on appearing in the hotel lobby wearing a sarong
know what we're on about.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff