[tex-live] textlive seems to ignore top of home tree

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Jul 24 11:28:49 CEST 2010

Robin Fairbairns wrote:

> rather, i was suggesting that people like vergil and phil taylor and so
> on will assume the worst of what i say, and make mischief for the
> workers on tl from it.

Assuming that you meant "people /such as/ Virgil and Phil Taylor" (I have
no idea how people /like/ Phil Taylor would react, if indeed there are any
such people), then "making mischief for the workers on TL" would be the
very last thing I would do : my sole concern(s) throughout this over-
prolonged debate have been to try to ensure (a) that Virgil is not subjected
to sarcasm as a result of his suggestion, and (b) that his suggestion is
properly evaluated.  In the latter, at least, there has been progress :
it is now accepted that there would /not/ be an unacceptable performance
hit if Virgil's suggestion were adopted, whereas previously this was one
of the main bases for ridiculing his suggestion.

And if you would like to prevent further prolongation of this debate,
please consider avoiding /ad hominem/ attacks in any reply.

Philip Taylor