[tex-live] textlive seems to ignore top of home tree

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Fri Jul 23 23:41:47 CEST 2010

On 23 July 2010 Robin Fairbairns wrote:

 > [...]
 > i'd better shut up now, or people will start associating *me* with
 > the tl team, whereas all *i* do is distribute the stuff.

There's no need to mention the "TL team" at all because it's not
relevant here.  It's Karl who has finally to decide whether changes
like that proposed by Virgil are made or not.  Suggestions made by
team members have no higher rank than those made by anybody else on
this mailing list.  Only the arguments count.

I've the impression that some people on the list believe that what
team members say is the official opinion of the team.  But there is no
such "official opinion".  The team consists of individuals who have
their own interests, ideas, and opinions.  Each member works on a
different part of TeX Live.  The only thing they have in common is the
goal to make TeX Live as useful as possible for everybody.  It even
happened occasionally that team members had different opinions.  Then
Karl was asked for a decision.

The TeX Live team can be considered as an orchestra conducted by Karl.

I hope this makes clear why I'm not happy when the expression
"TL team" is associated with my mails.  The only one who can speak
officially for the team is Karl.  I can only speak for myself.

Robin, you are concerned that people associate you with the "TL team"
and I'm concerned that people believe that what I say is the official
opinion of the team.  The best solution for both of us is to simply
avoid the term "TL team" in our mails.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25