[tex-live] textlive seems to ignore top of home tree

Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Thu Jul 22 18:15:23 CEST 2010

Norbert Preining wrote:

> Are you saying that a "first time user" changes class files and put
> them into TEXMFHOME????? Are you joking or is that serious?
>
> The OP asked about a changed .cls file ...

But the first-time user isn't necessarily the author
of said .cls file. He/she may be a new postgrad,
just starting in a High Energy Physics group somewhere,
and will almost certainly acquire some locally customised
files from those already there.  That is certainly
how things were at Royal Holloway : I can't imagine that
things are substantially different at any University
that you have experienced.

** Phil.