[tex-live] FontForge SFD files

Werner LEMBERG wl at gnu.org
Mon Jul 19 07:07:57 CEST 2010

> Though sources are generally useful, in this case the SFD files
> provide almost no data that is not present in the generated OTF
> files, so apart from being plain text dump of the fonts (in a format
> only FontForge can make use of AFAIK), they provide no extra value.

You are aware that the extension `.sfd' is used for two different file
types, and that FontForge accidentally uses both of them?  I've
`invented' the extension for `Subfont Definition Files' (IIRC, this
was even before George used `.sfd' for FontForge) as needed by ttf2pk,
and I suspect that Karl is talking about this.

It's an unfortunate clash of file extensions...

    Werner