[tex-live] possible problem with thumbpdf

Heiko Oberdiek heiko.oberdiek at googlemail.com
Wed Jul 7 16:38:32 CEST 2010

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 03:21:04PM +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:

> Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
>
> >Could "thumbpdf" itself perhaps specify "\pdfobjcompresslevel = 0\relax" ?
>
> A more elegant solution might be to ask Thanh to consider
> implementing "\pdfmaxobjcompresslevel", an integer variable
> with side-effect : an assignment thereto would automatically
> be compared with the current value (default: \maxdimen), and
> if the new proposed value were less than the current value,
> the current value would be updated.  This would allow quasi-
> competing packages to each specify the maximum compress
> level with which they can cope, and the lowest common
> denominator would then be selected.

I think, this is the job of the format kernel, at least of a
package to manage the additional resources of pdfTeX
(\pdfminorversion, \pdfcompresslevel, \pdfobjcompresslevel,
\pdfpageresources, ...)

Otherwise we would end up with \pdfmaxminorversion,
\pdfminminorversion, ...

Yours sincerely
  Heiko Oberdiek