[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Philipp Stephani st_philipp at yahoo.de
Mon Jul 5 23:59:13 CEST 2010

Am 05.07.2010 um 11:17 schrieb Robin Fairbairns:

> Victor Ivrii <vivrii at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> you need to be aware that
>>
>> according to the UN Universal Bill of Rights
>>
>> "It is indispensable human right to have any software ported free of
>> charge to your preferred platform"
>>
>> However, there is an UNHRC explanation that
>>
>> "All animals are equal but Windows Users are more equal than others
>> and this right is applied only to them and to software developed for
>> Unix/Linux based systems and it is duty of developers to have more
>> than twice available software for Windows than for any other platform"
>
> victor:
>
> this is all very well and amusing, but one should recall that (a) tex
> live advertises that it's available for widnoze, and (b) phil was
> explicitly asked to investigate the latest version on a widnoze box.
>
> i'm not keen on tex on windows, myself (i only ever use it when i've got
> an issue for the faq), but it would be extremely unfortunate, imo, to
> give the impression that tex _doesn't_ live well with windows *for those
> that want/need it*.

TeX works fine with Windows, this is proved by MikTeX. I think the TL team has to choose whether they actually want to support Windows or not. If they decide to support it, then I think it's not really helpful if team members constantly criticize the OS that they officially pretend to support.
Please continue with the great work on TeX Live and resume those ugly OS discussions on Slashdot or whatever.