[tex-live] TL'10 pretest trial

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Mon Jul 5 14:04:10 CEST 2010

Le 05/07/2010 13:44, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) a écrit :

> T T wrote:
>
>  > Also, using "slashed"
>  > paths in explorer (and throughout the Windows API) works just fine for
>  > me, contrary to what you say.  Have you actually tried and found
>  > otherwise?  So, I don't find your arguments fully convincing/accurate.
>
> Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa : forward slashes /do/
> work in Explorer as Tomek says, provided that one enters them
> after Explorer has been launched (e.g., by pasting into the "Address"
> field).  I can only think that when testing, I tried
>
> 	Start /Run Explorer <forward-slash-delimited path>
>
> and this does indeed not work.  However, in the main, Tomek is
> correct, I am wrong and I gratefully stand corrected.

I'm far from a windows expert, but I think the only place where forward slashes
may cause any harm on windows is in command line arguments to programs that
expect slashes only at the start of options.

>  Of course
> Windows users still expect to see backslashes, and would prefer
> not to see them re-written as forward slashes, but that is a far
> weaker case than my original claim.

Precisely. To me it looks more like a look & feel issue than a real usability
issue. As Tomek said, we have higher priority issues atm. However, I gave this
one a try, and I think I got a less surprising version of the perltk and wizard
interfaces for windows users. It converts all path to use backslashes (on
windows, obviously) before displaying them, regardless of what kind of slashes
the user actually typed.

You can try it, either by waiting for tonight's updates to tlpretest, or by
downloading the files

http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/install-menu-text.pl
http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/installer/install-wizard-text.pl

and putting them in the tlpkg\installer subdir of either your (extracted)
installer package or your full copy of tlpretest, then running
install-tl(-advanced).bat as usual.

Manuel.