[tex-live] arial.pfb and times.pfb in arabi.map cause dvips failures

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 04:15:03 CET 2010

** T S [2010-01-29 15:05:46 -0700]:

> Hi,

[...skipped...]

> ArialMT and TimesNewRomanPSMT are fonts which are frequently used in
> eps figures produced with MS software. When including such figures in
> a latex document, dvips looks for the corresponding pfb files and
> fails. E.g. this simple test file

> > cat test.tex
> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{graphics}
> \begin{document}
> \includegraphics{optcond2.eps}
> \end{document}

> gives

> > dvips test.dvi
> This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2010.01.29:1442' -> t.ps
> dvips: ! Couldn't find header file arial.pfb.

> even though the figure has the necessary fonts embedded and declares so much

> %%DocumentFonts: ArialMT
> %%+ MyriadPro-Regular
> %%+ TimesNewRomanPSMT
> %%+ AdobeSongStd-Light-GBpc-EUC-H
> %%DocumentSuppliedFonts: ArialMT
> %%+ MyriadPro-Regular
> %%+ TimesNewRomanPSMT
> %%+ AdobeSongStd-Light-GBpc-EUC-H

So time ago I found one solution for the same problem: I did several
conversion: eps->pdf->eps:
bash$ epstopdf file.eps
bash$ pdftops -e file.pdf
This assumes that all fonts are embedded into first eps file.

This advice doesn't help you with map file but could be used to get rid
of explicit font reference in eps file.

--
I:
	The best way to make a silk purse from a sow's ear is to begin
	with a silk sow.  The same is true of money.
II:
	If today were half as good as tomorrow is supposed to be, it would
	probably be twice as good as yesterday was.
III:
	There are no lazy veteran lion hunters.
IV:
	If you can afford to advertise, you don't need to.
V:
	One-tenth of the participants produce over one-third of the output.
	Increasing the number of participants merely reduces the average
	output.
		-- Norman Augustine