[tex-live] arial.pfb and times.pfb in arabi.map cause dvips failures

T S texlist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 02:50:09 CET 2010

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Karl Berry <karl at freefriends.org> wrote:
>    texlive-2009 enables arabi.map by default. This map references
>    arial.pfb and times.pfb,
>
> I agree that arabi.map should not do that.  Can you please write the
> arabi author (Youssef Jabri, yjabri (at) ensa.univ-oujda.ac.ma) about it?

I will do that

>    apparently dvips doesn't remove the DocumentSuppliedFonts list from
>    the DocumentFonts list before looking for external fonts.
>
> You mean it shouldn't look for the DocumentSuppliedFonts?  I suppose
> that's so.

yes, I think that would be the most robust approach (unless figures
lie about their fonts), and pretty obvious for a single figure.

I believe there is some attempt to combine fonts from all figures in a
document in some sensible way, to avoid multiple inclusion. However
with (subsetted) embedded fonts I don't see how this can be done in a
robust way, because the font name is not necessarily a unique
identifier for the actual font used.

>    after disabling arabi.map the dvi file can be processed by dvips, but
>    gives warnings.
>
> Is the dvips output (without arabi.map) correct?  The warnings are just
> warnings, after all.

with arabi.map dvips fails

$ dvips -u +arabi.map test.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2010.01.29:1816' -> t.ps
dvips: ! Couldn't find header file arial.pfb.
Note that an absolute path or a relative path with .. are denied in -R2 mode.
$ echo $?
1

without arabi.map there are harmless warnings, but dvips succeeds and
the ps looks fine

$ dvips t.dvi
This is dvips(k) 5.98 Copyright 2009 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
' TeX output 2010.01.29:1816' -> t.ps
dvips: Font ArialMT used in file optcond2.eps is not in the mapping file.
dvips: Font MyriadPro-Regular used in file optcond2.eps is not in the
mapping file.
dvips: Font TimesNewRomanPSMT used in file optcond2.eps is not in the
mapping file.
dvips: Font AdobeSongStd-Light-GBpc-EUC-H used in file optcond2.eps is
not in the mapping file.
</opt/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/base/texc.pro>
</opt/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/base/texps.pro>
</opt/texlive/2009/texmf/dvips/base/special.pro>.
</opt/texlive/2009/texmf-dist/fonts/type1/public/amsfonts/cm/cmr10.pfb>[1]
[2<./optcond2.eps>]
$ echo $?
0

> Thanks for the report.