[tex-live] ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Thu Jan 28 17:38:34 CET 2010

On 28 January 2010 Vladimir Lomov wrote:

 > ** Vafa Khalighi [2010-01-28 21:06:46 +1100]:
 >
 > > When I run pdflatex on the attached tex file, I get:
 >
 > > !pdfTeX error: pdflatex (file ugmm8a.pfb): cannot open Type 1 font file for
 > > rea
 > > ding
 > >  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
 >
 > This font set (mathdesign uses garamond font) doesn't distributed with
 > TL.
 >
 > You should either download fonts and install them manually or (not
 > checked) use getnonfreefont script (search tug).

According to the xelatex error message below, it seems that the tfm
file and the map file is found but not the pfb file.  Installing the
fonts manually is error-prone.  Obviously only the content of ugm.zip
was installed, which doesn't contain the actual fonts.

It's easier indeed to use getnonfreefonts:

    http://tug.org/~kotucha/getnonfreefonts

Regards,
  Reinhard

 > > and when I run xelatex on it, I get:
 >
 > > kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+0/600 --dpi 600
 > > ugmri8a.pfb
 > > mktexpk: don't know how to create bitmap font for ugmri8a.pfb.
 > > kpathsea: Appending font creation commands to missfont.log.
 >
 > > ** WARNING ** Could not locate a virtual/physical font for TFM "ugmri8y".
 > > ** WARNING ** >> This font is mapped to a physical font "ugmri8a.pfb".
 > > ** WARNING ** >> Please check if kpathsea library can find this font:
 > > ugmri8a.pfb
 > > ** ERROR ** Cannot proceed without .vf or "physical" font for PDF output...
 > [...]
 >
 > --
 > O'Reilly's Law of the Kitchen:
 > 	Cleanliness is next to impossible