[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard mpg at elzevir.fr
Wed Jan 13 12:14:54 CET 2010

Philip TAYLOR a écrit :

> Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:
>
>> I see no point in doing so. If people can install TL2010, they also
> can install
>> a recent pdf viewer.
>
> Yes, I could install a more recent version of Acrobat Reader;
> however, there are real advantages in using Adobe Acrobat (as
> opposed to Reader) but the cost of upgrading to (say)
> AA Professional Extended 9 is way beyond my reach :-(

Sure, but then you could stay with TL09, or install a free viewer just for
viewing while keeping AA for the rest, tune your TL2010 to produce 1.4,
etc. They are plenty of options and the choice is yours. Put another way: you
*can* read compressed PDF 1.5 if you want to, it's merely a matter of personal
choice.

I would be much more reticent to introduce compressed PDF 1.5 as the default if
it were really very inconvenient for some users to get a reader for it.
Currently I've heard of no such example.

Manuel.