[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Philip TAYLOR P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Tue Jan 12 16:32:12 CET 2010

David Kastrup wrote:

 > Philip TAYLOR<P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk>  writes:

 >> For me, Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 was the last successful
 >> version before Adobe started to split out functionality
 >> into so-called "Professional" and "Professional Extended"
 >> versions, and therefore remains my choice even today.
 >
 > Not everybody can be expected to be using Windows and an old version of
 > Acrobat.

As I made no such assertion, it is hard to see how
your observation is intended to add to the discussion.

 >> Thus I would want to be able to view any PDFs generated
 >> using TeX Live 2010 in Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5 or Adobe
 >> Acrobat Reader 5.0.5.  I am far less interested in
 >> how small or how large my PDFs are, since I can always
 >> compress them using Adobe Acrobat 5.0.5.
 >
 > No, you can't.  Acrobat 5.0.5 has no options that would not cause it to
 > either decrease the quality of included JPEG images or drastically
 > _increase_ the size of the processed PDF.

Since "File / Save as" produces a series of "consolidating ...",
"consolidating ..." and "removing ..." messages, it seems
quite reasonable to believe that these operations are intended
to reduce file size rather than bloat it.  Furthermore,
experience shews that the resulting file is almost invariably
smaller (sometimes considerably smaller) then the original.

 > So I don't think that your personal position and assessment is really
 > matching that of the needs of a significant ratio of TeXlive users.

Once again, I made no such claim, but you are, of course,
fully entitled to your personal opinion, no matter how
irrelevant to the issues under discussion.

** Phil.