[tex-live] Translation of tlmgr gui

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 08:51:06 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 13:36:21 +0100, Norbert Preining wrote:

> On Mo, 11 Jan 2010, Manuel Pegourie-Gonnard wrote:
> >> I also make translation for TeXworks but this program uses Qt so I
> >> update translation file (ts) using Qt Linguit (I just run lupdate -pro
> >> TeXworks.pro -ts trans/TeXworks_ru.ts and ts file is updated
> >> accordingly so new strings are added).

> >> Is there similar way to update po files? (I made translation several
> >> days ago but today I have to begin with ru.po file in TL ROOT).

> That is done in the background already every night. That is the
> reason you always ...

>> See tlpkg/doc/howto-translations.txt (or similar name). Previously, I was

> should read that. THere it is written to please get the latest
> NN.po from the svn/websvn as we are merging changed strings on a daily
> basis automatically.

I read this document (for note: this document is in svn not in TL
distrib, anyway I'm rsyncing daily svn from tug) and now its ok.

>> editing the .po file with vim, but now I'm using gtranslator, which is
>> more convenient for updates (ctrl-maj-pgdown is your friend).

> And as Manuel said, for actually editing the .po file there are
> many editors, gtranslator, poedit, ksomething, ...
I used lokalize, poedit, now I use gtranslator.

Now about interface.

>>> - 'File' is not meaningful name for this menu entry. More closely would be
>>>   'Repository'.

>> Yep, there was some discussion on this point. We thought people usually
>> expect the first menu entry to be "file", so it would be good to fulfill
>> this expectation. But you're right, the price is a not-so-meaningful
>> name.

> Agreed with Manuel, there was actually several discussions on that
> and we settled for the "what people expect more" than "what is the
> most suitable name".
I think it is worth to gather all repository related entries in one:
for now there are entries in File and in 'Options->General...'.
May be collect them under 'Options->Repository' entry?

Pros: all repository related things in one place.
Cons: the action 'Load repository' should be easily and quickly accessable
but then it will be buried under 'Options->Repository->Load ...
repository'.

If first entry in menu is 'File' then this is right place for 'Quit'.

>>> - I don't understand the idea of 'Backup' button. If I could
>>>   make backup of some packages then how can I restore these packages
>>>   from backup? (another words: is there button to restore packages?).

>> I think you have to use the command-line interface to restore backups.

> Yeah for now the restore is only possible via command line, but
> I want to add it to the GUI at some point.

This will be not so easy :).

--
I have never been one to sacrifice my appetite on the altar of appearance.
		-- A.M. Readyhough