[tex-live] PDF 1.5 by default in TL 2010

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Mon Jan 11 05:47:33 CET 2010

On 11 January 2010 Leo wrote:

 > On 2010-01-11 01:09 +0000, Karl Berry wrote:
 > > For TL 2010, we would like to change the default PDF output version to
 > > PDF 1.5 (proposed by Elie Roux). This is so we can use
 > > \pdfcompresslevel and generate noticeably smaller PDF's by default.
 >
 > Any idea how to set the pdf version to 1.5 in tl2009? I want to
 > experiment this change a bit.

Set \pdfminorversion=5 in your documents but don't expect any
improvement.

If you want to create smaller files, read the pdfTeX manual and look
for "object stream compression".  Simply switching to PDF-1.5 is
absolutely worthless.  You have to enable the features provided by the
PDF-1.5 spec explicitly.  I tried "object stream compression" already
and came to the conclusion that compressing these tiny things isn't
worth the effort at all.  You only save a few bytes but your PDF file
is incompatible with older versions of Adobe Reader then.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25