[tex-live] Texlive installation hangs on Vista

kap4lin kap4lin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 06:54:50 CET 2010

On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at cybercomm.nl> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 12:59:08PM +0000, T T wrote:
>> 2010/1/7 Andreas Hirsch <nishni_nowgorod at gaponline.de>:
>> > Hi!
>> >
>> > quoting kap4lin, [07.01.2010 04:21 +0100]:

>> The output in command prompt suggest a problem in the menu group
>> (directory) creation. Most likely there is no write access there. My
>> guess would be that the installer runs in the user mode but tries to
>> create shortcuts for all users (requires admin). No idea why this
>> could happen, though. Siep, Norbert, any ideas?

Yes, that is the case.

I ran install-tl twice:

(1) with "option_desktop_integration 0" in the profile file which
installed (minimal-scheme) TL fine (see the following tailend output):

------------------
pre-generating all format files (fmtutil-sys --all), be patient...done
running package specific postactions
D:running postaction=install for dviout.win32
D:running postaction=install for texlive-common
D:running postaction=install for texlive.infra
D:running postaction=install for tlpsv.win32
finished with package specific postactions

 See
   C:/Users/Public/texlive/2009/index.html
 for links to documentation.  The TeX Live web site (http://tug.org/texlive/)
 contains any updates and corrections.

 TeX Live is a joint project of the TeX user groups around the world;
 please consider supporting it by joining the group best for you. The
 list of groups is available on the web at http://tug.org/usergroups.html.

 Welcome to TeX Live!

D:Remove temporary downloaded containers...
D:Profile written to C:/Users/Public/texlive/2009/tlpkg/texlive.profile
Logfile: C:/Users/Public/texlive/2009/install-tl.log
Press any key to continue . . .
----------------------

and then

(2) wiith "option_desktop_integration 1" in the profile file (all
other options remaing exactly same) which failed (see the following
output):

-----------------------
pre-generating all format files (fmtutil-sys --all), be patient...done
running package specific postactions
D:running postaction=install for dviout.win32
C:\Users\Public\DOWNLO~1\INSTAL~1\INSTAL~1\install-tl: mkdir(//)
failed, goodbye: Permission denied
Press any key to continue . . .
-------------------------

So, this is not a big problem, shortcuts can be manually created, if I
know which ones!

>> @kap4lin: It might be useful to see the full output from the command
>> prompt. You could run the installer from the command line and redirect
>> its output to file:
>>

> You could add a '-v' option to get more output:
>
> ....\install-tl-advanced -v >install-texlive.log 2>&1

Thanks. If needed I can provide the entire log (zipped), let me know.

BTW,

(1) I wonder why there is no example profile file in the
install-tl/install-tl-2010106/tlpkg directory? Even to generate a
profile file I had to do a minimal installation first. May be adding a
'Save profile' button with the PerlTk GUI is useful!

(2) I did not have access to the earlier Vista machine, but I ran
these on a 2008 sever which should behave like Vista for all practical
purposes.

--
Regards
Kap4Lin