[tex-live] packages with characters > 127

Elie Roux elie.roux at telecom-bretagne.eu
Fri Jan 1 10:00:46 CET 2010

Zdenek Wagner a écrit :
> If I were the author I would not agree. Using ^^ is nothing but a
> cryptic way of reaching the same result. Why don't you ask the authors
> to write ^^5c^^70^^61^^72^^20 instead of \par?

We're not asking to ^^ every character, but only the >127 characters, so
that they work the same way in 8-bit encodings (95% of the cases latin1)
as in UTF-8.

> These are exactly the
> same tokens (and you may add many more spaces or ^^20 or mixture of
> them, TeX will not see them after a control sequence). Now what is the
> meaning of ^^dd? It is the character with decimal code 221 in SOME
> ENCODING. But which encoding?

The characters are not printed in the document, they are active
characters to delimit text, and in latin1 (almost all the authors of
such packages are french or german). See my examples given in the mail
of yesterday, 16h57 Bucharest time.

Thank you,
--
Elie