[tex-live] tlmgr/p5-Tk: fontconfig support and clash with SCIM daemon (was: Two tlmgr/installer gui issues: Xfce/FreeBSD)

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Feb 4 13:53:56 CET 2010

On Do, 04 Feb 2010, Nikola Lečić wrote:
> "fixed" font, but with p5-Tk without fontconfig support.

Good that this is resolved.

Well actually it is not. It still leaves open which font was taken,
which is somehow strange.

> I found the cause: SCIM daemon (scim -d) running without XIM_PROGRAM
> variable blocks tlmgr. At least on FreeBSD, other Tk applications
> have the same problem. (IBUS daemon does not block Tk dialogs.)

Ahh, that is the reason. I swtiched anyway to ibus since quite some
time. Had too much problems with scim.

>   preset settings:
>   -weight -> normal
>   -underline -> 0
>   -family -> undefined
>   -slant -> roman
>   -size -> 0
>   -overstrike -> 0
>   actually used settings:
>   -weight -> normal
>   -underline -> 0
>   -family -> Bitstream Vera Sans
>   -slant -> roman
>   -size -> -15
>   -overstrike -> 0
>
> Without XFT support:
>
>   preset settings:
>   -weight -> normal
>   -underline -> 0
>   -family -> undefined
>   -slant -> roman
>   -size -> 0
>   -overstrike -> 0
>   actually used settings:
>   -weight -> normal
>   -underline -> 0
>   -family -> fixed
>   -slant -> roman
>   -size -> -17

Huuuuu? Size "-17" ???? That is *strange*

Can you try xlsfonts and try to select that font (the one from "actually
used settings".

Is that the font that was shown.

Anyway, size -17 makes me a bit ahhhhhhh...

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force