[tex-live] TeX Live suggestions

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Wed Feb 3 02:59:34 CET 2010

On 2 February 2010 Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard wrote:

 > Reinhard Kotucha a écrit :
 > > here's the next one:  :)
 > >
 > But probably not the last one :-)
 >
 > > texdoc arabi finds big2.pdf instead of user_guide.pdf.
 > >
 > Added to the heuristics rather than as an alias. Btw, since you're
 > fluent in Lua, you may want to have a look at texdoc's score.tlu
 > and suggest improvements (either to the logic or the 'suffixes'
 > table).

Hi Manuel,
I'm not sure that I'm fluent in Lua, I still have to consult the
documentation quite frequently.

The suffixes table looks fine so far, I expect that you'll have to
extend it when people detect other problems.

I found something interesting in functions.tlu:

    function win32_hook (path)
        local res = string.gsub (path, '/', '\\')
        return res -- get rid of gsub's 2nd return value
    end

Another way to get rid of extra return values is to use the function
select().  It allows you to select the nth element of an argument
vector.  However, it doesn't work properly here.  I'll put you into
the CC when I file a bug report.

But for the time being you can provide such a function yourself:

function select (n, ...)
   return arg[n]
end

Then you can write:

    function win32_hook (path)
        return select(1, string.gsub (path, '/', '\\'))
    end

It saves you a local variable and if you need it more than once, it
also saves you a few lines of code.

Another thing I noticed is this:

$ texdoc -s pgf
60 results.  Display them all? (y/N)

There are 53 results actually.

$ texdoc -s dvips
25 results.  Display them all? (y/N)

There are 24 results actually.

Hey, I thought you are a mathematician. ;)

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25