[tex-live] Value of TEXDOCS in texmf.cnf needs adjustment ?

jfbu jfbu at free.fr
Mon Dec 13 09:48:23 CET 2010

Hi TUG list,

following installation of TeXLive 2010 (via MacTeX) on a Mac OS X,
I had the following problem: texdoc would not find documentation
(despite an up-to-date ls-R file in texmf-local) I had
added into /usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/doc

The value of TEXDOCS as defined in 2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf is
TEXDOCS = $TEXMF/doc//
and there was no occurrence in 2010/texmf.cnf

In the end I had to do two modifications, as seen here in the TEXDOCS
line
which I added to 2010/texmf.cnf:

TEXDOCS =
{$TEXMFCONFIG,$TEXMFVAR,$TEXMFHOME,$TEXMFLOCAL,$TEXMFSYSCONFIG,$TEXMFSYS
VAR,$TEXMFMAIN,$TEXMFDIST}{/doc,/doc//}

Modif A: with /doc//, the documentation added in /doc but not in
sub-directories was not found
Modif B: with the !! (as in TEXMF) the documentation in texmf-local/doc
was not found, presumably
because I did not create an ls-R file in texmf-local/doc
(Modif C: i put the $TEXMFLOCAL earlier in the list, I don't know if it
is then earlier in the
*two* expansions of braces, /doc and /doc// )

If really there is a need for an ls-R file in texmf-local/doc,
shouldn't there be in
2010/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf or 2010/texmf.cnf some appropriate
adjustment to TEXMFDBS?

Why doesn't the ls-R file at the top of the texmf-local hierarchy
suffices for texdoc to find files
when TEXDOCS is defined as originally as $TEXMF/doc// ?

Is not normal that TEXDOCS is not at least defined as
$TEXMF{/doc,/doc//} ?

Regards,
Jean-Francois