[tex-live] A please for literate coding (was : updmap and TEXMFHOME)

Khaled Hosny khaledhosny at eglug.org
Sat Dec 4 14:39:48 CET 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 12:37:27PM +0000, Philip Taylor (Webmaster, Ret'd) wrote:
> Dear Zdenek --
>
> When you post code such as the following, you run the risk
> of it being either misunderstood or even incomprehensible
> to newer members of the TeX fraternity :
>
> >\let\savedpdfmapline\pdfmapline
> >\def\pdfmapline{\begingroup\catcode`\ 10 \execpdfmapline}
> >\def\execpdfmapline#1{\endgroup\savedpdfmapline{#1}}
>
> If you were to put in a few spaces and assignment operators,
> as in the following, it might be considerably more transparent
> to others :
>
> \let \savedpdfmapline = \pdfmapline

Amen! I've been using TeX for several years now and I've always wrote
\let in the wrong order (I really mean always, not a single time I wrote
it first in the correct order, until I told my self to always do the
reverse of what I'd consider first), Have I seen it written with an
equal sign, I'm sure I would never confuse it.

Regards,
 Khaled

--
 Khaled Hosny