[tex-live] asy & texmf v texmf-local

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 08:37:56 CEST 2010

Hi,

I have a small problem when updating asy from source on top of TL2010 pretest (via MacTeX, perhaps not quite the last one that was released).

In my pre-test of TL2010, asymptote's style file is kept in

    /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/tex/latex/asymptote/asymptote.sty

but when I compile asy from source, it puts its file (correctly, it seems to me) in

    /usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-local/tex/latex/asymptote/asymptote.sty

(This is newer than the TL2010 one.)

Unfortunately, running `kpsewhich -show-path=.sty` and trimming all but the last three terms shows the problem:

!!/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf/tex///:
!!/usr/local/texlive/2010/../texmf-local/tex///:
!!/usr/local/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/tex///

The TL-installed asymptote.sty is found before the texmf-local one, which isn't very friendly. What should be happening here? While asymptote.sty isn't its own package on CTAN, should asymptote be installing it (from source) in the texmf/ rather than the texmf-local directory? Or should the order of the paths above in texmf.cnf be adjusted so texmf-local is found first?

Thanks,
-- Will