[tex-live] files generated by fmtutil/updmap -- platform independent?

Edd Barrett vext01 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 10:42:37 CEST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:18:37AM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Do, 19 Aug 2010, Karl Berry wrote:
> > Neither of them are *package* independent.  If you let your users choose
> > which packages are installed, e.g., which fonts, then your map file
> > won't be accurate.  OTOH, the extra entries won't cause any harm that I
> > can think of.
>
> Yes, exactely. Please take care not to mess that up. Last time you installed
> the config.ps and updmap.cfg file as distributed but not all fonts
> were installed.
>
> *IF* you have several different packages (like we do have in Debian),
> you *HAVE* to have an automatism that activates/deactivates the map file
> in updmap.cfg and calls updmap-sys afterwards.
>
> This is done in TL proper within tlmgr, and in Debian in the postinst of
> the packages, or better now triggered automatically.

This is what we want to try and avoid, as for users on slow machines (some crazy
people use texlive on their PDAs) it takes forever.

Seeing as we only have 2 texmfs that would install any fonts, I hope to be able
to pre-generate the 2 configurations for those (along with ls-R etc...). Any
further comments on this?

Thanks for your replies - Hopefully this can work.

--
Best Regards
Edd Barrett

http://www.theunixzoo.co.uk