[tex-live] mktexlsr ignores "rcs" on a Windows 7 machine

Shinichi Sakata ssakata at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Aug 18 18:26:52 CEST 2010

Manuel,

Well, mktexlsr of TeXLive 2007 on my Debian Linux box, which is a
shell script, is case-sensitive. But I was talking about the one for
Windows. Mktexlsr of TeXLive 2009 installed on my friend's Windows 7
box is a binary executable file (i.e., the one with extension
.exe). So, the source code can be quite different from the shell
script version of mktexlsr you are talking about.

Anyway, TeXLive 2009 contains a LaTeX package named rcs, which is
sitting in directory rcs. The feature of the windows' version of
mktexlsr keeps users from using it, because rcs/rcs.sty never shows up
in ls-R. This is a bug in my opinion, though it can be bypassed easily
if you know what is going on, as I mentioned in my initial message. By
the way, rcs.sty used to be in latex/misc. A possible solution may be
to move it back there.

  Shinichi