[tex-live] TeX-live updates on Solaris10?

Michael E. Thomadakis miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu
Sat Aug 14 00:54:35 CEST 2010

Hi Reinhard,

I post some times on the web HTML versions of articles I write with TeX, using
the .png versions of the figures.

I started using OO for convenience since Xfig is now too far behind for one to
be able to work quickly with complex figures. I wanted to have a common basis
to generate .pdf and .eps to include in the latex document. I am used to
including .eps (Xfig or gnuplot). I am now noving to .pdf and pdflatex so I
was trying to see what's the best way to draw and export once and then get correct
.pdf .eps and .png;

Unfortunately, exporting a figure to pdf directly from OO basically generates
an entire page. The fonts and the antialiasing look good though. At the same
time expoting .eps even tough the BB seems to be OK, fonts look horribly and
even line drawings look antialiased. OO does a great job exporting to .png.

Anyway after several trial and error attempts I ended up with the sequence
below which seems to generate correct BB for .pdf and correctly looking fonts
for the .eps figures.

inkscape is not easily portable to Solaris10 (yes I am a die hard
old-schooler). I have seen it on windows and linux and looks good. I would
love to use it on Solaris10 one day.

Thanks for the tips

Michael

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:

| Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 00:19:09 +0200
| From: Reinhard Kotucha <reinhard.kotucha at web.de>
| To: Michael E. Thomadakis <miket at mikefire1.tamu.edu>
| Cc: Manuel Pégourié-Gonnard <mpg at elzevir.fr>, tex-live at tug.org
| Subject: Re: [tex-live] TeX-live updates on Solaris10?
|
| On 13 August 2010 Michael E. Thomadakis wrote:
|
|  > To answer my own question:
|  >
|  > /usr/local/bin/gs -dNOPAUSE  -dBATCH \
|  >                 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 \
|  > 		-sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=$Fpng $Fpdf
|  >
|  >
|  > Actually this should be useful to all those who have tried to create graphical
|  > elements with OOffice 3.2.1 and wanted to import them seemlessly
|  > in as .eps or .pdf images using latex or pdflatex respectively and obtain
|  > decent results.
|  >
|  > 1) Draw figure in OO 3.2.1 (earlier may have font rendering issues)
|  >
|  > 2) Ctrl-A to grab single figure and save as PDF + Option 'selected'
|  > into say G.PDF
|  >
|  > 3) pdftops -eps G.PDF G.PS ;		# create PS as eps
|  >
|  > 4) ps2eps -f G.PS ;			# save to an eps with corrected BB
|  >
|  > 5) epstopdf --outfile=G.pdf F.eps 	# to .pdf with corrected BB
|  >
|  > 6) gs -dNOPAUSE  -dBATCH \
|  >                 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 \
|  >                 -sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=G.png G.pdf
|  > 					# if you need a .png
|  >
|  > Now you can include the G.eps, G.pdf or G.png in latex/pdflatex or
|  > HTML and have the correct BB.
|
| But what is step 6 good for?  It is highly undesired to convert vector
| graphics to bitmaps.
|
| BTW, I never used OpenOffice or Microsoft Word because their user
| interfaces are so inconvenient.  TeX Live provides some tools for
| creating vector graphics (Metapost, Asymptote, PGF/TikZ, PStricks).
| They are extremely powerful.  But if you prefer a graphical user
| interface, consider this:
|
|    http://www.inkscape.org
|
| Regards,
|   Reinhard
|
| --
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Reinhard Kotucha			              Phone: +49-511-3373112
| Marschnerstr. 25
| D-30167 Hannover	                      mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de
| Microsoft isn't the answer. Microsoft is the question, and the answer is NO.

% Michael E. Thomadakis, Ph.D.  Senior Lead Supercomputer Engineer/Res \
% E-mail: miket AT tamu DOT edu                   Texas A&M University \
% web:    http://alphamike.tamu.edu              Supercomputing Center \
% Voice:  979-862-3931                    Teague Research Center, 104B \
% FAX:    979-847-8643                  College Station, TX 77843, USA \