[tex-live] TeX-live updates on Solaris10?

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Aug 14 00:19:09 CEST 2010

On 13 August 2010 Michael E. Thomadakis wrote:

 > To answer my own question:
 >
 > /usr/local/bin/gs -dNOPAUSE  -dBATCH \
 >                 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 \
 > 		-sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=$Fpng $Fpdf
 >

 > Actually this should be useful to all those who have tried to create graphical
 > elements with OOffice 3.2.1 and wanted to import them seemlessly
 > in as .eps or .pdf images using latex or pdflatex respectively and obtain
 > decent results.
 >
 > 1) Draw figure in OO 3.2.1 (earlier may have font rendering issues)
 >
 > 2) Ctrl-A to grab single figure and save as PDF + Option 'selected'
 > into say G.PDF
 >
 > 3) pdftops -eps G.PDF G.PS ;		# create PS as eps
 >
 > 4) ps2eps -f G.PS ;			# save to an eps with corrected BB
 >
 > 5) epstopdf --outfile=G.pdf F.eps 	# to .pdf with corrected BB
 >
 > 6) gs -dNOPAUSE  -dBATCH \
 >                 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=4 \
 >                 -sDEVICE=pngalpha -sOutputFile=G.png G.pdf
 > 					# if you need a .png
 >
 > Now you can include the G.eps, G.pdf or G.png in latex/pdflatex or
 > HTML and have the correct BB.

But what is step 6 good for?  It is highly undesired to convert vector
graphics to bitmaps.

BTW, I never used OpenOffice or Microsoft Word because their user
interfaces are so inconvenient.  TeX Live provides some tools for
creating vector graphics (Metapost, Asymptote, PGF/TikZ, PStricks).
They are extremely powerful.  But if you prefer a graphical user
interface, consider this:

   http://www.inkscape.org

Regards,
  Reinhard