[tex-live] Windows XP X64 uninstall goes badly, more info.

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 13 02:11:43 CEST 2010

On 12 August 2010 19:23, Beuthe, Thomas <beuthet at aecl.ca> wrote:

> I understand your sentiments regarding administrator rights, but I do try and
> make sure that I have administrator rights to all of the windows machines I log into
> because I install/uninstall a lot of stuff.

Our installer checks for admin rights by trying to get full access to
the HKLM environment key.  For some reason it doesn't get it.  The
failure to set (user) path is also very mysterious.

> Alright, here's what I tried:
>
> I started the command line windows from a shortcut that is targeted directly to:
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe
> I hope that does not have any consequences with regard to the permissions
> you described above.
>
> Then I executed
> C:\texlive\2009\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat >"%temp%\tl-uninst.log" 2>&1
> (without the "call", since we're not in a batch file right now)
>
> This uninstalled everything perfectly, and removed ALL of the files.

That is very bizarre.  I have no clue what could cause the uninstaller
to behave differently when launched from the command line instead of
add/remove programs.

> The only think I could note is that the path is still as follows:
>
> %SystemRoot%/system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%/System32/Wbem;C:\texlive\2009\bin\win32
>
> I had added the texlive path manually at the end of the global string,
> so perhaps it's not surprising that is still there after the uninstall.

Hmm, I can't remember how this was handled in the original '09
release. In the current installer that should be removed too.

> Since this didn't show anything, I tried a thinking about a different tact.
> The uninstall in the registry entry is at the following location correct?:
>
> My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\TexLive2009

Yep.

> This is currently set to: "C:\texlive\2009\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat"
>
> How about changing it to: "C:\texlive\2009\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat >"%temp%\tl-uninst.log" 2>&1"
> instead.  But wait, I don't have enough experience with this. Perhaps the double set of quotes
> might mess things up?
>
> So I tried putting this string into the registry instead:
>
> "C:\texlive\2009\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat >C:\tl-uninst.log 2>&1"

Good thinking.

> But that didn't want to work...

Perhaps this would work:

  "C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe /c
C:\texlive\2009\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat >C:\tl-uninst.log 2>&1"

or putting that in an intermediate foo.bat and using that in the registry.

Also, please edit ...\tlpkg\installer\uninst.bat and remove '@echo
off' at the top, so we can see which commands are executing and
failing.

> Perhaps you can think of something else?

Not much except that on the next attempt you can also follow Manuel's
advice and send us the full debug log from running:

  install-tl.bat -v -v >C:\install.log 2>&1

Cheers,

Tomek