[tex-live] Windows XP X64 uninstall goes badly...

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 10 12:56:24 CEST 2010

On 10 August 2010 03:30, Beuthe, Thomas <beuthet at aecl.ca> wrote:

> As hinted in my previous mail message, I tried uninstalling TeXLive installation from
> a Windows XP X64 machine (which is really a re-branded server 2003), and I must say
> I'm somewhat less than pleased.  The uninstaller refused to removed all executable files
> (basically all .bat, .exe, .dll, and .cmd files and their associated directory trees).
> So I'm left with 817 files that were not uninstalled, and to boot the TeXLive 2009
> Entry in Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs is still in there, and I can't even remove
> the package entry using the windows install cleanup utility program because the install
> was never made using Windows Installer in the first place.  The desktop entries are
> all still there, along with the Start -> programs entry for TeXLive.

The only problem that comes to my mind is file permissions.  Was
installation for all users (admin)?  Did you install under
%ProgramFiles%?  TL version (NET or DVD)?

> My first impulse would be to delete the remaining files and desktop entries, and remove the install entry directly
> in the registry through regedit.  Is that advisable?  Editing the registry directly always
> faintly gives me the creeps.  The possibility of REALLY mucking up the system is always there.
>
> This is just too ugly.
> Has anyone else had this type of experience or am I just "special" somehow?

I don't recall a report of this sort.

The uninstallation process goes like this:
- remove shortcuts, file assocs, etc., for each installed package
- remove TL from the search PATH
- unregister uninstaller
- delete TL directories

Since most of TL files are gone in your case, the installer won't work
any more and you probably have to do the remaining steps manually.

Tomek