[tex-live] relocatable texlive?

Ken Brown kbrow1i at gmail.com
Sun Aug 1 14:02:21 CEST 2010

On 8/1/2010 7:40 AM, Michel Goossens wrote:
> I tried to generate a texlive tree on a portable USB-connectable hard disk on a Linux system. At first sight everything seems to be relocatable, but when I mounted my portable disk on Windows under cygwin xetex did not find any truetype or opentype directories. I "grepped" all files in the texmf trees, and found one file, texmf-var/fonts/conf/texlive-fontconfig.conf,
> which has explicit absolute filenames to list the font directories. Its contents is shown below.
> <?xml version="1.0"?>
>    <!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
>    <fontconfig>
>    <dir>/media/usbdisk/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype</dir>
> <dir>/media/usbdisk/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/truetype</dir>
> <dir>/media/usbdisk/texlive/2010/texmf-dist/fonts/type1</dir>
> </fontconfig>rectories

This file is not used directly by any texlive program.  It is created by
the installer and is intended to be copied to a suitable location (and
edited as necessary).  See Section 3.4.5 of the texlive 2010 manual,
which should be at

/media/usbdisk/texlive/2010/texmf/doc/texlive/texlive-en/texlive-en.html

on your system.  This is for Unix-compatible systems.  I'm not sure what
you should do under Windows; the texlive installer usually takes care of
that for you, I think.  On the other hand, you could install the Cygwin
texlive binaries and then follow the instructions for Unix-compatible
systems.

Ken