[tex-live] biber in TeX Live

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 00:40:39 CEST 2010

2010/4/21 François Charette <firmicus at ankabut.net>:
> On 21/04/2010 23:03, Victor Ivrii wrote:

>> but it stumbled upon few things so I went to install them manually but
>> they had other dependencies missing or not as new as required and
>> probably this was a reason. So I went manually down the tree and
>> installed biber. True Text::BibTeX had most branching dependencies.
>>
>> Victor
>>

> Note that by default "./Build installdeps" will use cpan as a backend to
> install missing modules. But sometimes CPANPLUS can be more reliable. So you
> might prefer to do
>    ./Build installdeps --cpan_client 'cpanp -i'
> instead. See "perldoc Module::Build" for details.

The question: if biber needs module A, and module A needs module B,
and B is not installed or is installed but has a lesser version than
required, will ./Build installdeps install B and then A? My impression
(I may be mistaken here) is that it is where the process stops and one
needs either to give up or to go manually.

For normal UNIX user it is a tedious and annoying but neither
complicated nor overly time consuming task. An average MacOS X however
never bothered to install DevTools and most likely has no idea what is
it and is afraid of the terminal.

Victor