[tex-live] Virus alerts from TL2009 (again)

Peter Denisevich pdenis2 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 16 18:25:53 CEST 2010

On 4/14/2010 5:13 PM, T T wrote:
> On 9 April 2010 03:15, Peter Denisevich<pdenis2 at comcast.net>  wrote:
>
>> I, too, get alerts from Sophos and so I copied the Windows .exe's and .dlls
>> to my Linux box and scanned them with 3 other AVs.
>> F-Prot found nothing, but ClamAV and AVG both reported the same files as
>> Sophos: dviout.exe, psv.exe, and texworks.exe
>>
>> It is somewhat disconcerting that 3 out of 4 antivirus scanners tested pick
>> out the same 3 files.  Are the scanners all using the same (false)
>> signatures.  [I would
>> expect that would lead to patent/copyright problems...]
>>
> These are definitely false positives.  However, I have little hope
> that these scanners will get ever fixed, so I recompiled the binaries
> in question with a different tool chain and now they pass through all
> 39 scanners on www.virustotal.com.  Please try and report any
> problems.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tomek

Sophos now reports all files in bin/win32 to be clean.  Many thanks.
I was going to try to get a false positive report to Sophos but it would
first have to go through my IT dept (@ drofnats.edu) and that would have
taken
a long time.  Your approach of rebuilding with different tools was much
more efficient, I'm sure.

Thanks again,

-peter d.