[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Thu Apr 15 04:44:47 CEST 2010

On Do, 15 Apr 2010, Diederick C. Niehorster wrote:
> >> A lot was writen the past hours about the seperation under Windows. As
> >> of today it is still very difficult to get user-config-files out of
> >> C:\users\ ... without trouble
[...]
> C:\texlive\2009
> C:\texlive\texmf-local
> C:\Documents and Settings\DCN\.texlive2009\texmf-var
>
> Directory listing of the last is attached. According to you, the last
> should not exist? I'd be happt if its all in C:\texlive\texmf-local

Yes it should exists, because the default setting in texmf.cnf is
	~/.texlive2009/texmf-var
which expands to the above.

If you want it somewhere else add a line in
	c:\texlive\2009\texmf.cnf
for
	TEXMFVAR = ....
	TEXMFCONFIG = ....

> indeed, Or am I misunderstanding the philosophy behind the two and are
> you referring to behavior outside these directories?

Yes, you do.

texmf, texmf-dist, texmf-local, texmf-var, texmf-config in c:\texlive\2009
are the system wide directories. Even on a Windows system there
can be more than one user.

The last one plus ..../.texlive2009/texmf-config are user specific
directories.

> I don't see the point in spending lots of energy on making the windows
> side of tex live look more like windows. Catering to users who get

Agreed.

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force