[tex-live] texlive perl

T T t34www at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 14 23:48:41 CEST 2010

On 14 April 2010 21:45, Lars Madsen <daleif at imf.au.dk> wrote:
> Lars Madsen wrote:
>>>>

>>> Strange. This works for me with our perl just fine:
>>>
>>>  perl -e "system('start somefile.pdf')"
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Tomek
>>
>> which perl is this?

tlperl

>> as far as I can see I cannot just run 'perl' when the only thing I have
>> installed is TeXLive, the tlperl is hidden inside and not really available
>> for the outside.
>>
>> cmd.exe does not respond to it.

Yes, it is hidden. I added a wrapper for it for my own use.

>> I can get things executed using runscript though, so perhaps we are doing
>> down too many subshells for ARs liking
>>
>> /daleif
>>

> the interesting part is also that AR does react, by telling that some error
> occured. But not really mentioning what error.
>
> /daleif

Does it give any error code?

Do you have start or start.exe in your path by any chance?

The culprit in texdoc case was the shell script from MSYS named
'start' (Manuel, is this the problem you had in mind?):

http://www.tug.org/pipermail/tex-live/2009-July/021290.html

If you will provide me with exact instructions/scripts leading to AR
failure, I will try to reproduce it and track down the problem. Which
version of AR do you have?

Cheers,

Tomek