[tex-live] [Fwd: Re: TeXLive Perl + latexmk (windows)]

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Apr 14 17:09:08 CEST 2010

On Mi, 14 Apr 2010, Philip TAYLOR wrote:
> > That will not happen, as the search path and the primary texmf.cnf is
> > found according to the location of the binaries.
>
> But that could be changed (should be changed, IMHO).  Just because

"should" only in your opinion, not in the most of the developers here.

> that is how things currently are does not mean that that is the
> way they must remain for all eternity.  Every new release of TeX
> Live allows for things to be improved : one such improvement would
> be the separation of programs from data.

Yes, but as long as we do not want to loose tlmgr update --all
facility that will not happen. Or as long as we do not get
more programmers that actually reimplement something like apt-get/dpkg
in perl for us, it will happen neither.

> I do, as a matter of course, but it doesn't address the fundamental
> issue of the separation of programs from data.  Ye Gods, this is
> 2010, and this is hardly a new or a revolutionary proposal, even
> if Microsoft have done their d at mndest to make it impossible with
> Windows 7 :-(

data - program - that is all the same ... is there a difference???

You should separate your *own* input files from those provided by
texlive, but within TL what need there is for separation I don't see.
If the partition wiht TL on it (bin and texmf trees) crashes so what,
reinstall. But the user data is the important thing.

Please let us NOT FORGET that the important thing in the end is
to "produce beautiful documents" ... !!!!

Best wishes

Norbert
JAIST, Japan            TU Wien, Austria           Debian TeX Task Force